July 17, 2012

Sushi

Sushi

We lost our littlest girl tonight.

Sushi was in her tube hanging out and looking content when Dave came home from work tonight; by the time I got home two hours later she had died.

I knew when we started this blog that some day there would be a post like this, but I never thought it would be so soon. She was 21 months old. A youngster. This morning she was so rambunctious that Dave had to help me get her in the cage; every time I put her down she would race up my arm before I could shut the door.

I think this is where this blog ends. Our intent behind the blog was to create a place where you could find information on the reality of caring for a rat with severe dental issues. I think we've accomplished that. We have visitors from over almost 90 countries and judging by the search terms that are getting people here, the posts on Sushi's teeth were worth it. I'm going to leave this blog in place in the hope that it can continue to be that resource for those looking for information, just like we were looking when we brought the girls home in December of 2010.

I don't need to describe how special Sushi was. This blog is evidence of that. As devastated as we are tonight, we're also keenly aware of how lucky we have been. We had no idea what we were getting into when we brought the girls home and I am grateful for every minute of it.

1 comment:

  1. I know it's nearly four years after the fact, but I can't thank you enough for leaving this blog up. My girl Clover is going through the same situation as your Sushi did, and it's heartening to see a story of a successful incisor removal. I don't know if you'll ever see this, but if you do, know that you gave me hope for my tiny, sweet little rat. Thank you.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete