September 23, 2011

Tired Rat

This is a tired rat:

Saké

You might wonder how a rat who spends hours each day sleeping could be so tired that she just collapses in her wine box.

Because she spent an hour exploring the bedroom and avoiding capture.

Yes, the rats escaped last night.

They were on the bed while  I was cleaning their cage, which is normal. I noticed Saké hanging off the footboard and looking at the floor, but I didn't worry too much. I wasn't even concerned when I saw her slip onto the floor and disappear under the bed. She has been on the floor before and normally walks right over when you call her. I also wasn't concerned when I saw Sushi follow her sister a few minutes later.

I should have been concerned.

What I didn't realize is that there was a hole in the cloth covering the bottom of our bed's box spring. Unfortunately, Sushi realized it.

An hour later, both rats were safely returned to their cage, where they had a very quiet night. The box spring will never be the same.

1 comment: