March 13, 2012

Worrying About Sushi

Sushi has had a slight head cold for the last day or so and last night I was worried she had taken a turn for the worse. She was laying in the hammock in an unusual (for her) position and it took me more work than normal to wake her up. She also felt lighter in weight to me, despite the fact that I have seen her eating quite a bit over the last couple of days.

Dave grabbed her some fruit while I woke her up and then we got her out of the cage. She happily licked at the watermelon Dave held in one hand while he held her with the other, so obviously she wasn't feeling too terrible. She definitely has some sort of cold though, and doesn't seem as peppy as normal. Dave is convinced she hasn't lost any weight, despite me thinking that she has.

She does seem prone to head colds. Saké never seems to have them, so I think it must be related to her dental issues (and might also be why she has such constantly crusty eyes). She seems to be okay though, so we're just keeping an eye on her. I hate how short rat life spans are - at 18 months, I feel like she should just be at the beginning of her life, not on the path to being the senior rat as she is.

So since I'm worried and bummed, here's a pic of the much younger and energetic Sushi a year ago:

No comments:

Post a Comment